Mrs. Kuhr, Computers
Welcome to Computers!
First, let me introduce myself. I'm Amy Kuhr, the new Computer Teacher here at St. Vincent de Paul. Before coming to SVdP, I was the technology coordinator for the Plattsmouth Community School District, where I worked with teachers and students incorprating technology into the curriculum. I worked with grade levels Preschool-12th and in all subject areas. I also taught a computer science and STEM class for 7th and 8th graders. Before that I was the K-6 computer teacher for the Exira School District in Iowa. I have a masters from Iowa State in Instructional Technology and a bachelors in elementary education with a minor in Educational Computing. I am currently working on a second masters from UNO in Computer Science Education. My focus will be on coding and programming, STEAM, being CyberSMART, keyboarding, and learning software and tools used on computers throughout the year.
I am excited to be here at SVdP. Everyone has been so warm and welcoming. I can't wait to get to know the students better.
Contact Info - firstname.lastname@example.org
What are we learing in class this week - 10/8-10/12/18?
- Preschool - What is stronger? A Triangle or a Square?
- Kindergarten - Find the Pattern
- 1st Grade - Find the Technology
- 2nd Grade - What is Computer Programming?
- 3rd grade - Recipe Book: Students will practice writing a sequence of steps & using desktop publishing create a class recipe book based off a template.
- Homework - Students need to bring a favorite family recipe with them to class
- 4th Grade - Biomimicry: Students will design a product that can help solve a problem based off of nature. They will make a model (out of recyclable materials) and a presentation for their product. Students in classes 41 & 43 will start to present this week.
- 41 on Tuesday, October 9
- 42 on Wednesday, October 17
- 43 on Tuesday, October 9
- 5th Grade - Heads Up! Aerodynamics with model paper airplanes. Students will create three models and test their flights. They will then make a spreadsheet and graphs to show their findings.
- 6th Grade - Storytelling in Scratch: Students will start to learn how to create simple programs in Scratch focusing on storytelling. Scratch is an open blockly style programming software.
- 7th Grade - Tinkercad a House: Students will be working on designing a simple house in Tinkercad. Tinkcad is a 3D computer design software. It is often used to make objects to print with a 3D printer. 3D printers are becoming increasingly popular in schools. Students may come across or have access to one in their future high school.
- 8th Grade - Tinkercad a House: Students will be working on designing a simple house in Tinkercad. Tinkcad is a 3D computer design software. It is often used to make objects to print with a 3D printer. 3D printers are becoming increasingly popular in schools. Students may come across or have access to one in their future high school.
** NOTICE - 4th-8th grade parents - We have been using Google Classroom for all assignments. If you would like to keep track of and see what your student is up to, please email me and I will add you to the system. **
Links to resources used in class and for fun. (Work in progress)